Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Julie Andrews


(Please excuse the goofy photo from Amazon)

I love Julie Andrews. The Sound Of Music is one of my favorite movies. While I'm not really one to follow celebrity gossip, I enjoy reading memoirs of people I admire.
This one is FABULOUS. Aside from the fact that I've seen so much of her work that I can hear her voice in my head, almost as if she were reading it personally to me, it is simply a joy. It is incredible to read about her early experiences on the stage... Did you know that after her very first screen test she was told she was way too homely to be on film?

Julie Andrews. Too homely.

I couldn't believe it either. It's also really fun to get a behind the scenes look at some of the great actors of the time... Rex Harrison, Richard Burton, and Roddy McDowell are all mentioned rather prominently.

It isn't a tell-all, gossip type book. Ms. Andrews is entirely too much a lady for that. But it is a touching, well written, and utterly delicious read.

I definitely recommend it.

Have you read any great memoirs or biographies lately?

On a totally unrelated note, how do you get actual empty lines between your paragraphs? I attmept, but for whatever reason they never stay once I've hit 'publish'. Am I going to have to learn all about editing html? (Please say no.)
(I may have just figured it out... is there an easier way than to going and putting breaks in the html code?)

1 comment:

  1. Love Love Love Julie Andrews. I know Sound of Music by heart. What a great lady, would love to read this book.
    (sorry, don't know the answer to the lines between the paragraphs issue)
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete